Saturday, October 24, 2009

Great Recipe and more

So, it has been a little while since I posted...haven't had much to say...haven't had time to think it through...etc...
First, I would like to share a GREAT recipe...I will post it how I make it...and you can try it that way...but it is VERY GOOD...my family likes the meat the best, so I do add a little more than the recipe calls for, but I would try it the way written first. Also, it takes and hour of cooking time, but do not let that deter you...30 minutes is just cooking on the stove. I serve this with rice, because it FEELS like it needs a starch to go with it.

Bavarian Sausage and Apples
Serves 6

3 Tablespoons butter
12 links sausage of choice, Polish, bratwurst, etc. You probably do not want a strong Italian flavor or something like a Cheddar jalapeno, but I think most types would work fine
2 medium onions, sliced
4 apples, unpeeled cut into 1/2" wedges
2 tsp. brown sugar, heaping
2 T. flour
1 c. beef broth
1 c. unsweetened apple juice
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. ground cloves

(and, if you do not eat sausages for whatever reason, I am sure that there are veggie options that would work, or you could try it with a similar meat, I am just not sure what that would be....I am not a big lamb person and do not know if that would over power the flavor...maybe a ground beef, ground lamb mix that you make into small meatballs...let me know what you think...)

Take sausages and cut into slices...I like to cut them on the diagonal, maybe 1-1/2 inches long and 3/8 inch thick...this is not obsessive, just a good mouth sized bite.
Brown sausages in skillet with butter, until browned, remove from pan, set aside.

Add onions to skillet; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add apples and brown sugar; cook 5 minutes. Remove apple slices and set aside.

Add flour to skillet; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until smooth. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Return sausages and apples to pan; bring to boil. Lower heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes


I just got (LAST NIGHT) from the Library, Mary's book, Family Feasts for $75 a Week and I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!!!! I read the WHOLE thing last night...this is SO much more than a cookbook...she gives SO many practical and helpful tips for cutting your grocery budget down...I WILL be buying this book...many delicious looking recipes. I am looking forward to my next meal planning session with book in hand!

Also, just in case you have never heard...pre-grated cheese has both an antibiotic in it (Natamycin...can read here for more info) and Cellulose...now, that seriously makes me sick that there are antibiotics in pre-grated cheese...but if that does not bother you, eat freely. I think that most people do not know this and because the price of grated VS block are almost the same...even cheaper for the grated at times, we all go for what is easier. a big thank you to my Pampered Chef lady for letting me know about this one...the ingrediants are right on the back of the package.

So, I think that is all that is on my mind today...I will be back when I think of more things!
Happy Fall...oh and the time change is coming up...I think we FALL back on October 31! Don't forget...


1 comment:

Lynn Hasty said...

Carrie, that sounds really good. I've been trying to come up with things that are easy but yummy. We'll try this. Thanks!

Lynn