Friday, September 11, 2009

Turkey, the easy way

As I promised, the turkey recipe....this is from a good friend's website, which I think she got from a friend...thanks for sharing Pamela!

For every pound the turkey weighs, it cooks for about one hour: a 20 pound bird will cook for at least 20 hours. The first hour (I usually go for 1.5 hours for a 20 pounder) it cooks at 350 which kills all of the bacteria. Then the heat is reduced to 190-200 and it is cooked for the remaining time at that temperature (18.5 hours for my 20 pound bird). Before I put the turkey in the oven I remove the neck and giblets and thoroughly wash it. Then I pat it dry with paper towels. I have my daughter pour some real salt into my hand and I salt the cavity. Then she pours organic olive oil in my hands and I spread it all over the skin of the bird. It cooks in a roasting pan on a rack, breast side down. This makes for a bird that is not quite as pretty (from the lines of the rack imprinting in the breast), but it self bastes and stays nice and juicy. I’ll go for awesome flavor over pretty looks any day. And that’s it. I do still use a meat thermometer to make sure that the internal temperature is right (180). Once the turkey is up to temperature it pretty much stays there, since that’s close to the temperature of the oven, and I can let it sit in there for a couple of hours if the other food is not ready. It’s still delicious. Once the turkey comes out of the oven it needs to rest for about 20 minutes before carving. At that time I put the potatoes and green beans in the oven and I make the gravy from the turkey drippings. Everything is done and ready at the same time.

I also put some onions, celery, etc in the cavity...gives off wonderful flavor!

Try it, you may like it!
C~



1 comment:

A House FULL of Grace said...

Wow Carrie (& Pamela) -- that sounds perfect...and totally takes the pressure out of having a pretty bird!! I'll have to try it. Thanks for the tip. Have a great weekend!

Love,
S