Thursday, September 10, 2009

Monthly Grocery Challenge

Well, it has been a few days since I posted on this...just busy with school starting this week and all...so we are still going on this...I think we are still under budget...I need to check with my husband (He treated us to steaks one night, and I KNOW that was more expensive!). Breakfasts are usually whatever is available....leftovers, cereal, etc...yesterday, I made the children some potatoes with leftover chicken verde that I sauteed in butter and olive oil...it looked really good. I did take four of the children to taco bell for lunch too...we spent $9 for the 5 of us...not so great for you, but we were all hungry and that seemed the best option... We are trying to empty a freezer so we can defrost it, so that has been making life a little easier...so yesterday, I really needed to go to the store for dinner, but due to some circumstances, I was unable to...so 4:30 ish came by and I thought...what on earth are we going to have for dinner...thankfully, I was able to come up with an idea. I made Tuna Casserole....not at all my favorite, but I was so grateful that we had all the makings...for those of you who live for Cream of Whatever soups...they do make life a little easier, but white sauce is SO easy to make....cooking noodles, making white sauce, stirring it all up with the tuna and into the oven for a bit...we had some salad left and I cut up some tomatoes and onions and tossed that with some italian dressing...and even made dessert...brownies with strawberries and ice cream....
I think I am going to make Turkey this weekend...we still have one...I kept forgetting about it...I have a good friend who posted a great way to cook a turkey...maybe I will post that next....makes life a little easier...
I will be gone tonight, so I need to figure out something to be ready for everyone else...and then Friday is my hubby's birthday, so we are going to Red Robin...he gets a FREE burger...and I think we have a coupon or something...then I FOUND some money in my wallet...woo hoo!!!! I will be making my husband a german chocolate cake too...that is his yearly tradition...

White Sauce recipe (Sort of)

I do not measure this at all, I am sure that there are recipes out there, so you may wish to check on that, but here is what I do:

Equal parts butter and flour ( I usually do about 1/4 cup of each) in a pan...til thick and pasty looking...then add milk...again, I don't measure...just till it looks right...I add just a little at a time...seems like I don't have to wait as long to see if it is the right thickness or not...my guess would be 2-3 cups of milk, but that is totally a guess...
I added some chicken base, parmesan and garlic to this last night...

I will post the turkey directions soon!

Love,
C~



No comments: