Friday, June 19, 2009

Workboxes, part 2

So, what I love about these is that each student can "SEE" what is expected AND "SEE" the work being completed, so I think that it is very self motivating. I am trying this system four different ways, because, having many children, I do not have room to set up many of these shoe racks...but I have one set up that way. I will compare the results of each system as we walk along the way.
So, Techy guy"s system is the way the book suggests. Now, he tends to be my dreamer and school just does not EVER seem to get FINISHED, so I was excited to see it in action for him. Now, I did alter how the numbers are done slightly...and I only have 10 boxes right now, because that is all my Target had...I have not had the time to get to another Target yet. I also chose a rack that was a LITTLE bit nicer than the one pictured in the book...I DO have to LIVE with this...so the rack was $25 and the boxes were $2 each...I did not want to drive around finding a better price and he loves this color, so I took the splurge...there are better prices and the rack shown in the book was $15.
Now, once you buy the book, you get a code that gives you access to some things to print off to set up your system...I printed mine and was getting them ready...and WATER was spilt on our table and they were RUINED...so I just could not deal with reprinting, etc, so that was how I got the numbers we have...and actually, I really like them. I also made a couple of "WORK WITH" things to go in the boxes...you should be able to see them in the previous post...BIBLE and HISTORY are group activities and then Our Techy Guy and the Mediator work together on Writing, so those go into the applicable boxes.
EVERYTHING you need for that box goes into that box...the big textbooks do not work well in the box, so you do the best you can. We also have a couple of binders that I just set off to the side. The benefit of having it all in the box is that I do not need to stop school to eventually go and copy that map (you all know how that goes! Three days later, you get back to it)...it is already done. Also, if I am working with another child, I can have the next one who needs help set that aside and either work ahead or take a break.
So, when I came across this system, I had not heard ONE SINGLE negative comment...everyone I had come across found this to be a great thing...we were having some troubles, so I wanted to try it out for us...most of what I had seen was for preschool through elementary school. I have a junior high and a high schooler...how is it working for us?
Well, we have had two students working with it for a week...Techy guy is ALL CAUGHT UP...AMAZING...he is NEVER CAUGHT UP!


The Mediator is a little behind, but that is my fault...he has been working diligently with what he could do without me. We are still working out some issues with his box too...we are not sure if using a file box will be what works for him.


My Techy Guy says that the workbox system makes school easier...he wouldn't really elaborate, so I am not sure what he means...
So, how do I fill twelve boxes...well, right now it is 10, for the oldest, but I add Piano, PE and personal reading time. I will also break a larger assignment into two or three smaller pieces if I feel like it will be better for him. Again, we are still working out the kinks, but so far, I am very pleased!
Love,
C~


No comments: