Monday, May 2, 2016

You Are Enough






You are Enough




About a couple of years ago, I went with a group of friends to see Mom’s Night Out. I was prepared to laugh like crazy and it was funny. I was not at all prepared to cry and be encouraged in my mothering. If you have seen the movie, I am sure you know which scene I am talking about. The one with Bones talking to Allyson in the jail building. This rough and tumble man is giving this exhausted Mom a wonderful piece of advice. God did not make any mistake when He gave those children to you. Just be you, He’ll take care of the rest.
We all have those moments where we feel like we fail at everything we do. The house is a mess, the laundry is unending, we have no idea what is for dinner or when we last cleaned the bathroom. We compare our very worst moments to those beautiful images on Pinterest or Facebook and see the words EPIC FAIL when we think of how we are doing.
Now there are times when we really fail…spent too much time on the computer, lost it with someone in our family, or didn’t think about dinner until 5 pm…Praise God HIS MERCIES are NEW every morning. We get to do it again.
Some seasons of mothering, though, are just hard. Like having lots of small children, or having a sick child, or even just a season of extreme busyness. In those places where we feel so weak, we need to turn to God for help. His Word says that we “can do all things through Christ who strengthens” us. He allows those places of too much to increase our dependence upon Him.
If you are in one of those hard places, let me encourage you to do these three things. (I know there are so many more things I could suggest, but these are enough for now.)
1) Stay in the Word. This is vital. Even if it is one chapter or one sentence, it is God breathed and profitable for us (2 Timothy 3:16)
2) Do the next thing. Don’t worry over all the things that are undone, just do the next thing, and continue on until bedtime. Give yourself grace in those places you can’t get to, but don’t give up. One day, you will get to it. (Galatians 6:9)
3) Ask for help. There is no shame in asking for help. Most of the people I know would love to come and help me if I needed it. It was me not being willing to ask, to let others see my imperfections. I wanted people to think I had it all together and was Super Mom, but none of us are. There is a strength in vulnerability that I never expected. I am sure some will talk, but you might find that the support of those who come alongside is just what you need. (Numbers 17:10-13, Titus 2:3-5)
This season will pass and you may find yourself wishing for these days again. I know, it seems so unbelievable right now. Hold on to God and love on your family. Everything you are doing is so worth it.
Dearest Precious Mama,
This is for you…
YOU ARE ENOUGH!

No comments: