Monday, March 12, 2012

Meal Planning Monday




Ok...so I am not all that great at cooking...my philosophy is that you are either a baker or a cook...Baking involves pretty precise measurements and is relatively consistent each time you make a recipe. The best cooks are those who can add a pinch of this and a little of that and can walk into their pantries and grab a few things and come up with a masterpiece...DO NOT EVEN GET ME STARTED on asking these people for a recipe...OBVIOUSLY, I am more of a baker!

So in an attempt to get a handle on dinner, I meal plan...that way...I know what's for dinner and can make it...Pretty novel idea, isn't it? Yes, there have been way to many 5 pm's when I haven't had a clue.
If any of you struggle, I will share some of my favorite recipes with you...if you don't have issues with dinner, maybe you can get a fresh idea or remember an old favorite. This recipe is an OLD favorite that I had forgotten about.

I don't remember WHERE I originally got the recipe for Chinese Chicken Salad, but over the years, I have adapted it to our personal tastes and at the suggestion of my dear friend Kathie...It is really good and quick and easy to make...my favorite kind of dinner!!! I hope you enjoy!

Chinese Chicken Salad

1 large head green cabbage...I use regular green cabbage, but I have a friend who prefers the napa.
Cilantro***
cooked chicken breasts, cubed...I used 4
2 pkg. top ramen, with seasoning...I Like to use the Oriental kind, but any is fine.
1/2-1 c toasted sesame seeds
6 green onions, chopped
1/4 c. almonds, sliced
2 T. butter
sesame oil, optional

Dressing
1/2 c. olive oil
1/4 c seasoned rice vinegar
1 T. soy sauce
1/4 c. sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all dressing ingredients together
Mix cubed chicken with dressing and let marinate for at least one hour, or more if desired. I started doing this at the suggestion of my friend Kathie.
Break up Top Ramen noodles. Brown with sesame seeds and almonds in butter. Add seasonings.
Cut up cabbage into thin slices. Toss with onions and cilantro if desired.
Add the top Ramen mixture and the chicken mixture. Stir well to combine all dressing.
I drizzle a small amount of sesame oil over the top for extra flavor.
Enjoy!

***I think Cilantro adds a WONDERFUL flavor to SO MANY things, but you are more than welcome to leave it out if you don't care for it.

Blessings,
C~

1 comment:

Caseys said...

Yummy!! I will have to try this but a vegetarian version with some tofu instead of chicken. Thanks for the recipe.