Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Buttermilk Biscuits

Where I grew up, biscuits came out of a can or from bisquick...so I never learned a very important lesson...there is an art to making biscuits...and I have been searching high and low for THE PERFECT biscuit recipe...I know you all have your faves...for me the BEST biscuit is high and light and soft...Well, I think I have THE recipe now...
I think the most important factors to a good biscuit are: Don't handle the dough too much and don't add too much flour...So if you did not learn the ART of biscuit making, there is the condensed version of it...
So without more commentary...THE recipe:

Buttermilk Biscuits

1/2 cup cold butter, cut into 1/4 inch slices
2-1/4 cups self rising flour
2-1/2 cups buttermilk

If you do not have self rising flour, for each cup of all purpose flour, add 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder and 1/2 tsp. salt.

Cut butter into flour until crumbly. Cover and chill 10 minutes. Add buttermilk, stirring only until just moistened. Turn out dough onto floured surface and knead 3-4 times, adding additional flour as needed. Press to a 3/4 inch thick rectangle and sprinkle lightly with flour. Fold dough over on itself in 3 sections like you would fold a letter to put into an envelope. Repeat this process 2 more times.
Press to 1/2 inch thick on a floured surface. Cut into 2-1/2 inch circles and place close together on a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet- if they are close together- so they touch- they will rise higher.
Bake at 450 degrees for 13-15 minutes. Remove from oven and brush tops with melted butter.

I hope this is THE recipe for you too!
C~

2 comments:

Lorentzen Family said...

Thank you Carrie! We are going to make these. Do you know if they freeze well?

Lowaina said...

Oooh, I have to try this out! <3 Thank you for sharing! Now I just have to come up with a recipe to share back to you... Hmm...