Sunday, May 10, 2009

Circling our Wagons and more...

Well, many of you are sick of hearing about this, so just skip it...I wanted to record this as a memorial stone for where we were and where I hope we will go...
So at the Christian Heritage Conference, one of the concepts I heard was Circling Our Wagons...this is a technique we are using to change attitudes for the better. It involves being together more as a family and less as individuals doing seperate things. We have been getting a lot of...why can't we do this? So and so can...and so and so this and so and so that...and quite a bit of questioning authority, rolling the eyes and refusing to get our things done...I won't bore you all with the details...but right now, no one is getting in (friends coming over) and no one is getting out (going to friends or to various events) and this does include facebook, etc...our children are in a sort of disbelief, but most of them have gotten a clue that the sooner I clean up my act, the sooner life can return to what we used to know...Oh, they are SO funny!!! But, one Mr. is not quite getting the hang of it yet...I think it will get much more painful for him as he gets told no longer than I am sure he wants to hear...
Another little thing I picked up from the Duggar's Book is the game they play to work on getting the children to do what they are asked immediately and cheerfully...so I will say to the Principessa, go into the kitchen and open all of the cabinet doors...she will say, "Yes Momma, I would be happy to." Then she runs off to do it and come back...It is just little fun and silly things to get her in the habit of having a right heart and doing what she is asked quickly...
So, today, after church, her Sunday School teacher gave her a little bit of praise and said that she noticed and was encouraged by her obedience in Sunday School...just a little tidbit to make a Momma's heart happy!!! So we will keep working on it.

I recently started a schedule where I have entered all of my major housekeeping chores into my Outlook with reminders and alarms...this way we know things are getting done properly, with regularity and more than just the surface. We all work together to accomplish the task, making lighter work for all of us. This is ONLY for major things, not daily picking up. I am hoping that once we have completed a full cycle, my husband will be greatly encouraged knowing that we are trying to make a happy home for him (For him, a happy home is not only one where there is no bickering, but that it is picked up...no clutter, clean, etc) We still have quite a ways to go, but I am greatly encouraged by the small steps...

Well, my task for Sunday afternoons is lesson planning, and it is done for this week...I am thinking, maybe I should do one more week, so I am not planning so close to when they need to accomplish their work...Just in case...I will see what happens...

So, I think that is all that is on my mind for today...I know, it is feast or famine around here...but such is the way it is!

Love,
C~


3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm glad to see it's working for you, Carrie. Remember, the water is always roughest while turing the rudder. Things will smooth out and get easier before you know it.

A House FULL of Grace said...

Wow! Carrie, what an inspiring post. So glad the new schedule is working for you and that Dana is pleased too. Remember, little steps are better than no steps. I love that you're 'circling your wagons' and the Duggars game is a great one. Thanks for passing it on. You've given me great encouragment today.

~S

Carrie said...

Thank you for your kind comments...you both are a blessing to me!
C~