Friday, November 16, 2012

Sue's DELICIOUS Tortilla Soup

We have been doing a recipe swap at our church...well, that actually has kind of fizzled out, but some of us are trying to get caught up...and this recipe is from my Very GOOD friend, Sue...we made this for dinner last night...and so I thought, for Michelle's benefit, I would share it with you all...The recipe, and my very good friend both say that this is much better if you allow it to cook for a while or even cook it and serve it the next day...but I will say it is quick to make and is still tasty if it is 5 pm and you are having the WHAT'S FOR DINNER PANIC!

So, while I will do my best to share her "recipe"...I really think this is one where you really cannot go wrong...
(shamelessly stolen from my VERY GOOD FRIEND Sue's facebook...love ya Sue!)

Fry two chopped onions in olive oil in a large pot. (Sue cooks them a bit in some broth and has not noticed a difference in taste) Sprinkle chili powder and cumin over the onions to taste...she uses several tablespoons here and adds more as needed as the soup cooks...After that has cooked and smells AMAZING...add 3-4 cans of whole tomatoes to the pan, making sure to break up the tomatoes as you stir ( I use less tomatoes and also use puree rather than whole). Add cut up chicken breasts (boneless)...Sue uses a bag of frozen chicken tenders...(I cook my chicken before I do the onions...then just add to it from that point.) Cover with 4 32 oz cartons of chicken broth. Let simmer, adding more seasonings to taste.
When done, serve in individual bowls with the toppings you prefer...we like crushed up chips, avocado, green onions, olives, cheese, sour cream, cilantro and lime wedges...we LOVE to squeeze lime juice in it!

Thanks Sue...this recipe is a keeper, but YOU are the real keeper!
C~

No comments: